Legal Aid for Family Mediation

MyMediation has a franchise with the Legal Aid Agency to offer family mediation to those who qualify for Legal Aid. This means that your fees will be paid for and in certain circumstances you will be able to access free legal advice during the mediation process (Legal Help)

Even if only one party is eligible for Legal Aid, the fees will be covered for the other party as well, for the initial mediation information and assessment meeting (MIAM) and the first joint mediation session.

Please try our Legal Aid Eligibility Assessment Calculator to see if you could be entitled to Legal Aid. Watch our Legal Aid video guide to help you to fill in the Legal Aid Calculator.

If you think you may be eligible for Legal Aid you will need to bring the following documents, where relevant, to the initial information and assessment meeting. If you do not bring the correct evidence or you are found to be not eligible, you will be charge our set fee.

Financial Evidence:

If you are in receipt of Income Support, Income based JSA or ESA please bring proof in the form of your most recent benefits letter (must be less than 6 months old) and/or bank statements where name and type of benefit is specified on the statement.

Otherwise, eligibility will be assessed based on the following evidence (where relevant):

  • If paid four weekly or monthly, your last payslip. If paid weekly, your last five payslips.
  • If you are self employed, the last two years of your business accounts and your most recent self assessment tax return form.
  • Contributions based JSA or ESA - proof in the form of your most recent benefits letter (must be less than six months old).
  • Most recent full tax credit award notification providing details of working and child tax credits.
  • Bank statements for all accounts for the last 5 weeks.
  • Details of new partner’s income, if you are living together as a couple.
  • Details of mortgage or rent payments.
  • Details of any child care costs with evidence of payments made.
  • Details of any child maintenance paid to your former partner, with evidence in the form of CSA/CMS letter and/or bank statements showing monies paid.

We provide family mediation funded by legal aid for eligible parties. Check our legal aid calculator to find out if you could be eligible.